Accidental spark from an excavator track causes brush fire


Photos Courtesy Chelan Fire & Rescue Facebook

CHELAN - On July 30 at 8:48 a.m. Chelan Fire and Rescue was dispatched to a brush fire at 16445 S. Lakeshore Road.  The fire was reported to be 20 feet from a structure and on the uphill side of Lakeshore Rd.  First arriving units reported a 1/4 acre brush fire that was moving upslope with zero wind.  
A second alarm was called to provide more manpower.  Forest Service and Dept. of Natural Resources also responded.  Fortunately, with no wind the crews were able to catch it within feet of being out of reach of the water stream.  
The cause of the fire appears to be an accidental spark from an excavator track.  As this fire shows, in these conditions all it takes is a spark. Please be aware anytime you are near dry grass.

User menu

NCW Media Newspapers