Chelan County’s Moderate Risk Waste Facility now accepts latex paint

WENATCHEE - Starting June 21, the Chelan County Moderate Risk Waste Facility started accepting used latex paint for recycling and safe disposal.

 “To be able to drop off household paint is something our visitors have been asking for since the facility was opened in December 2019,” said Brenda Blanchfield, manager of the county’s Solid Waste program. “We’re excited to be able to help get one more household hazardous waste out of people’s homes and safely recycled.”

Last week, Chelan County commissioners signed an agreement with PaintCare Washington, which will be picking up the paint for recycling from the Wenatchee facility. PaintCare oversees Washington’s statewide paint recycling program, which is operated and funded by a manufacturers’ stewardship organization.

Dropping latex paint off at the Moderate Risk Waste Facility is a free service to Chelan County residents. If you plan on dropping off paint, please follow these guidelines:

Visitors are limited to 55 gallons per visit, and the paint must be in containers no larger than 5 gallons.

The facility will take old cans; however, if the paint is solidified, please remember that you can dispose of the can safely in your household garbage.

The facility accepts latex paint from only Chelan County households. Businesses can continue to take latex paint to a nearby Rodda Paint or Sherwin Williams, or dispose of it at a future small quantity generator event, which are typically held annually in Chelan County and posted to its website.

If usable paint comes in, it will be set aside in the free re-use program. Visitors should check out the re-use cart to take home any latex paint they can use in their own projects.

 In April, the Moderate Risk Waste Facility switched to new, extended drop-off hours; the facility is open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and the first Saturday of the month. In July, drop-off Saturday will be July 9 because of the July 4th holiday.

 For a full list of items that the facility does and does not accept, go to the facility’s website:


User menu

NCW Media Newspapers